– $290/person, GST included
– 5 evenings in April & May
– 4:00-6:15 p.m. (11.25 hours total)
– different skillset focus each week
– “Sea Kayak Olympics” to cap it all off!
Looking for a way to consistently get on the water and build your skills this spring? Our Wednesday Evening Skill Building Series runs for five evenings in April and May. Each week, we focus on a different set of paddling skills, giving you the opportunity to learn progressively and build your foundational kayaking skills in preparation for the summer paddling season!
Dates, Times & Location:
- Series runs five evenings: April 5, April 12, April 26, May 3 & May 17.
- Sessions run from 4 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Please arrive in time to have your boat on the beach and be geared up and ready to go by 4 p.m.
- Locations will vary between Westwood Lake Park in Nanaimo and Blueback Community Park in Nanoose in order to mix fresh and salt water.
Class Size & Fees
- 6 students maximum.
- $290 for the full series, GST included.
- Kayak and equipment rental available.
- Previous kayaking experience (at least Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Skills or equivalent), is recommended to get the most out of this series.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own sea kayak and equipment. Rentals are available if required.
- Participants must sign our waiver and complete a medical form in advance of attending the series.
Week 1 – Wednesday April 5 – Power & Momentum
We’ll work on forward, backward and stopping strokes, with a specific focus on generating more power, precision and control in these foundational strokes.
Week 2 – Wednesday April 12 – Turning & Maneuverability
Sweep stroke, pivot turns, draw stroke & edging! We’ll work through a number of exercises to help you get your kayak turning exactly where and how you want it to.
Week 3 – Wednesday April 26 – Assisted & Solo Re-entries
Time to refine those all important rescues! We’ll run through some key assisted rescues, including the T-Rescue and Parallel Park & Pump; try out a rescue stirrup; and hone our solo re-entries using the paddle float and scramble methods. Be prepared to be in the water for the duration of this session!
Week 4 – Wednesday May 3 – Balance & Agility
Get ready to challenge yourself with a number of exercises that target your balance and agility in and out of your kayak. We’ll also work on our low brace to prevent capsize.
Week 5 – Wednesday May 17 – Putting it all Together – Sea Kayak Olympics!
Our last session will be a fun “Sea Kayak Olympics” event — a series of exercises that encourage you to combine the skills we’ve learned to date and put it all together to up your personal paddling game. Everyone is a winner here!
Equipment & Preparation
The following kayak equipment is required to complete to participate in this series. We recommend you bring your own, but we can arrange rentals if required.
- Sea-worthy kayak with front and rear bulkheads and full perimeter lines.
- ULC-certified PFD (lifejacket) with a whistle attached
- Kayak paddle and spare
- Manual bilge pump
- Throwbag with 15 metres of bouyant heaving line
- Spray skirt
- Immersion gear suitable for the conditions of each day (wetsuit or drysuit)
To register, please e-mail us at email@example.com or complete the form below and we will contact you to complete your registration.